Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Happy Birthday Elvis!




Yes it is true, if it were tomorrow and Elvis was alive it would be his birthday. So Happy Birthday EP!! One of my students brought in a life size cut out of Marilyn Monroe for me today as well as a book to read. I am trying to decide where she will look best at in my apartment. I know she wouldn't stand up in the weather, but how cool would that be to have her outside greeting you into my apartment. I just think that would shock alot of people. Also this may shock you as well, yes that is my back, and yes Elvis is tattooed to it!! I know alot of people don't understand me or get me, but I just love that. My friend Parker gave me this one as my second tattoo and not the last one either. Marilyn is going on the other hip. My goal is to have my back mostly covered. Again, you don't have to understand. People still to this day don't understand Elvis or Marilyn, and that is what fascinates me most about people. Why we do the things we do and how do we get to where we are in life? Everyone has a story, everyone is going through something right now at this moment. I could tell you why I had the worst day possible but yours will probably top it. I meet a lot of people everyday, and when I first begin teaching you I normally ask, "what's your story?" I always get this look like, my what??? Come on, your story, what your life means to you, how you are living it, what you want to do with it, who you want to become? All of those questions are things we should ask ourselves everyday and we need to be accountable to others to ask them the same thing as well. We may begin to understand each other a little more and true peace among others will begin to happen. So the next time you just walk past someone, stop and remember they have a story just like you waiting to get told. We just need to listen closely to hear it.

1 comment:

Dani said...

I love it Abby...your blog and the tattoo! You are spot on with what you said! We only have our perspective to base our thoughts and decisions off of...and how many people are in this world?! Our perspective is like a bird's eye view of the whole sha-bang. And while we can't have the full perspective (we have to trust God for guidance on the full perspective), we can understandn and appreciate that we are only a small piece of this life...and other may have soooo many other issues, viewpoints, life lessons, experiences than us! Love that idea! Whenever I am flying, I look out the window and see how tiny the country is from that perspective...and it just hits that this is the literal example of what you talked about. I think of all the people in my line of sight on the flight (even though they are tiny and not visible)...and wonder what their stories are? And that just puts me in my place...the real perspective from up above. Because even from this perspective, it's still only a sliver of the entire world, where you think about other customs, religions, all that is foreign nto us is so normal to others. Why am I the captain of the world and get to dictate what is normal and not normal and then judge on top of that? Even with my neighbors next door or the clerk at the store that is taking too long...whatever it is...everyone has a story that we may never understand. Why judge and play God when we are in reality so so small? Unfortunately, it's not all about us, like most humans think and operate...it's all about Him! Thanks for the post...that really got me thinking! Sorry for the book...my fingers sometimes just can't stop once they start!